Packaging Technology Development Manager/Senior Packaging Technologist
- Provide packaging support & leadership to the European and Global Packaging Department. Act as strategy challenger and driver within a dynamic R&D environment.
- Provide Category Managers with insights to support packaging strategy to be embedded within category.
- Develop relationships with key stakeholders to align and agree strategy.
- Make sure all new packaging trends/technologies are constantly monitored
- Connect with potential innovation external drivers and design medium term packaging open innovation pipeline.
- To ensure and manage the effective use of resources.
- To own end to end medium term packaging open innovation strategy.
- To influence packaging team members and make ideas part of overall packaging strategy.
- To identify and develop new packaging formats, materials and technologies to deliver competitive advantage and meet consumer needs.
- To ensure packaging developments are fit for purpose, meeting legislation, consumer, supply chain and environmental needs with correct and timely documentation.
- Determine and manage the packaging budget
Key interfaces :
- R&D Packaging, Product & Category etc. throughout Europe
- Consumer Insights
- Packaging suppliers
- European factories
- Sales & Retail customers
- Supply Chain
- Project Management Office
- Technical Information Services
Knowledge & Skills, Competencies, Qualifications and Experience required :
- Food or fmcg packaging understanding – materials, formats and processes.
- Product development.
- Consumer understanding.
- Project management.
- Budget Management.
- Factory and Supply Chain understanding.
- Packaging regulatory compliance.
- People management.
- Commercial acumen
- Participate in consumer connect activity and understand the relationship between consumer needs, brand values and the role of product and pack.
- Know which attributes of products and packs are important for consumers and deliver projects to maintain and optimize them within commercial constraints.
- Confident working with and communicating business data and understand how each category is performing and how the R&D pipeline of activities will deliver the strategy.
- Able to provide accurate costs or estimates with risks to support business decisions at different stages of the gate process and is comfortable manipulating financial elements in R&D projects.
- Proactive in planning and delivering technical training for people and teams.
- Can Propose creative solutions to R&D challenges through a good understanding of technical, systems and business barriers to progress, learning from previous experiences in R&D.
Developing successful innovation
- Able to work within ideation processes and programs to identify new opportunities for Renovation, Incremental and Breakthrough innovation.
- Manage project resource and track progress against milestones, managing and mitigating risks on the way
- Design and lead R&D consumer research across projects and programs, understanding which methodology to use and how to interpret and report results to a wider audience.
- Drive excellence in execution in projects and propose improvements when appropriate, challenging and coaching others to do so too.
- Actively seeks roll out opportunities from an understanding of the current portfolio.
- Lead and promote best practices to deliver roll-out options in own and other categories.
- Apply right first time thinking to create robust project plans and milestones and proactively manage risks within business project teams.
- Can use all aspects of benchmarking against a competitive set, including the suppliers and the technologies used, to recommend how to optimise taste, product and pack.
- Able to connect directly with consumers or customers to identify insight and opportunities that can translate to competitive advantage projects
- Lead initiatives on new raw materials and specifications that run effectively in factories and deliver programs that meet cost targets without compromising product quality.
- Able to carry out a full technical assessment of a supplier in collaboration with Quality and Procurement and make clear recommendations on their capability to supply the business with the desired material and quality.
- Able to work comfortably with the system to assess and sign-off specifications and actively challenge the quality of input data
- Keep up to date with legal developments and new regulations and actively work to ensure compliance of work portfolio.
Developing R&D capability
- Define the process parameters that deliver the key attributes for product design, know how to optimise them further and where there may be elements of intellectual property we could own.
- Stretch our technologies to create better Innovation pipelines within own work areas and Category.
- Build relationships and work effectively with key suppliers, following our policies and practices.
- Apply consumer insight and consumer and customer feedback to develop and optimise process and product specifications in order to maintain and improve Quality.
- Manage a portfolio of products to ensure they meet our policy and relevant food regulations and can deliver competitive advantage.
- Transfer knowledge of current and new materials between projects and categories, including potential risks to products, claims and processes.
- Able to challenge test results and hypothesis to get to an aligned outcome from complex data.
Qualifications required :
- Relevant Food Science / Technical / Engineering / Packaging degree.
- Driving licence
- Membership of Institute of Packaging (The Packaging Society IOM3)
- Proven project management experience.
- Experience within food & drink FMCG.
- Packaging/product development experience.
- Proficient in English language is essential. German or Italian an advantage.
Apply for Packaging Technology Development Manager/Senior Packaging Technologist
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly