Director of Innovation & Technology
DIRECTOR INNOVATION & TECHNOLOGY Based in The Netherlands
Job ref: LS/37292
The company are a successful manufacturer of pigments and pigment dispersions for the plastics industry. Their colors and additives are a key component in a number of items ranging from Packaging to Building & Construction. Their production facilities are strategically located in Europe, Asia and the Americas, and offer diverse product lines in both solid and liquid colourants.
The function of Director Innovation & Technology is key in setting the strategic technology and innovation direction of the company. Starting from a fundamental understanding of our technology and competitive advantages in the markets we serve in combination with a clear view on the direction / developments within these markets strategic directions should be developed where it relates to new product developments and potentially new technologies.
The person is responsible for managing the portfolio of long term development projects via a stage-gating process, including trade off on in-house or external development and cooperation.
The person is further responsible for the operational excellence of the colour development labs. Core competence of this business is the development of colour on demand by combining the right carrier, additives and pigments. Key success factors are the speed and efficiency of the colour development process as well as global sharing of the relevant know how.
The Director Innovation & Technology needs to be a broadly interested and internationally oriented individual with proven technical background and experience, gained in related industries. Furthermore, recognized as a leader by the employees, convincing and has the ability to drive change. At Executive level a sparring partner, able to translate complex technical matters to a debatable level.
Place in the organization:
The Director Innovation and Technology is a member of the Executive Team with shared responsibility for policy, strategy and results of the company. The person will reports to the CEO.
The global R&D organization:
Within the labs a distinction is made between short term colour development and long term product development. The Director Innovation & Technology manage a team of 8 technical staff and has two direct reports with whom he forms the Technology Board:
- Manager Global development program; This person is responsible for managing long term development projects, technical market support, regulatory affairs and the patent portfolio. This person has long term experience in the plastics color and additive market, a creative mind and an eye on future trends.
- Manager Global R&D Labs; This person is responsible for achieving operational excellence in the labs executing in particular the color developments. This person has a structured approach, experience in improving process efficiency and effectiveness.
- Translates company strategy into technology and innovation strategy
- Provides strategic leadership for R&D Innovation and Technology departments by working with management to establish short and long-range goals based on strategies, budgets, plans, and policies
- Short term development: responsible for operational excellence in the color development process
- Long term product development and to be a connect with the outside world and customers
- Participates in drawing up the company’s strategic plan, responsible for an annual budget for Innovation & Technology, responsible for project management, design implementation and results of new products and product technology
- Interfacing with marketing, commercial and operational departments in order to develop and maintain a high level of knowledge of the company’s products and processes
- Partners with relevant colleagues of the Division Europe, Division Americas, Division Asia and the holding company.
- Participating on a global level in the Executive Team Meetings, Innovation Meetings and Operational Meetings.
Professional experience and knowledge:
- Minimum of five years of technical experience
- Experience with the functional performance applied in the plastics industry with focus on color
- Successful track record of leading and driving change
- Extensive experience with market needs in relevant industries, profound insight in market developments and trends
- Experience in managing of projects and development programs
- Experience in product development
Education: Master’s Degree in Chemistry or Polymer Technology
Languages: Fluent in English and Dutch is preferred
- A strategic visionary that recognizes trends in the relevant markets and is able to translate these into development needs.
- Mediator between involved departments and stakeholders able to translate complex issues into understandable subjects
- Comfortable with developing and executing organizational strategies, policies and procedures
- Ability to empathize on the specific organization culture of employee ownership and underwrites this
- Result oriented and is able to create buy-in within and outside the organization
- Shows strong stakeholder management skills and is an excellent communicator, networker and sparring partner on all levels inside the organization, as well as outside the organization
- Has as an open, down-to-earth, pragmatic en decisive attitude and is hands-on
Location: Central Netherlands
Travels: Flexible travel required (up to full weeks) including visiting accounts and company sites, attending/participating in company-meetings, conferences and trade shows
To apply please contact Linda Samuelsson
0044(0) 1789 207070
For EU roles, candidates must be eligible to work and live in the European Union.
Proof of eligibility will be required with your application.
Listgrove Ltd - Celebrating 40 Successful Years of UK and International Recruitment and HR Services
PLASTICS - PETROCHEMICALS - PACKAGING - CHEMICALS - ENERGY – ENVIRONMENT
Listgrove Limited Registered in England No: 1197713
Visit us at the following exhibitions in 2016 and 2017: FachPack, K 2016, Arabplast, Plastteknik, Interpack, fip Solutions, PDM, Kunststoffen, Interplas, Fakuma