Operations Director – South Africa – Metal Packaging
Must have experience in metal conversion (steel, tinplate, aluminium etc.)
Based; South Africa (Johannesburg)
Generous Ex-Pat package on offer.
We are currently working alongside an industry heavyweight within the production of innovative metal containers for a variety of industries such as food and beverages. This organisation has a proud tradition of continuous improvement and overall business excellence within their field contributing to an overall world-class attitude to operations. Having received significant investment over recent years they are looking to attract industry-leading talent to drive them on to the next level of operational performance.
- As part of the executive management team you will report into the Managing Director of this £500m+ metal packaging division and hold operational responsibility for five sites across three countries with a main focus being on their South African operations.
- Sitting at the head office of the metal packaging division in Johannesburg this role will require you to be a consummate business leader with the gravitas needed to inspire others to join you on the journey to operational excellence.
- Due to recent investment their equipment throughout the division tends to be state-of-the-art, therefore the key challenge is to introduce best practice at their two world-class sites and develop the practices and programmes to up-skill site capabilities and help the business move towards being industry leaders in operational performance.
- Environmental, health & safety excellence is a significant focus for the organisation. Ensuring compliance and a genuinely held ethos in these areas is of huge importance.
- Evolution not revolution – whilst change will be part and parcel of achieving divisional goals this must not be at the expense of employee engagement. Recognising contextual & cultural sensitivities to adopt an appropriate leadership style is key to ensuring productive change.
- With a focus on continuous improvement it is expected that the job holder is able to conduct a thorough analysis, drawing upon LEAN management principles to devise and execute an operations plan which maximizes the available technology to create genuine customer value.
- Work closely with HR to devise and implement training & development programmes with a view to further creating a skilled and motivated workforce.
- Must hold an appropriate degree or equivalent professional qualification within modern manufacturing principles, preferably a degree-qualified engineer.
- Experience within metal packaging is mandatory.
- Knowledge or formal qualification/course completion specifically related to Six Sigma and Lean manufacturing would be highly beneficial. Demonstrable implementation of a variety of lean principles to drive operational excellence is a must-have.
- Evidence of an ability to develop strong customer relationships from a manufacturing point-of-view is desirable.
- Proven commercial acumen is crucial to ensuring the continued performance of this multi-site manufacturing base.
- A proven ability to transfer skills to others in a structured way
- An acute sense of inter-cultural sensitivity is required
This is a career opportunity not a job so we invite applications from committed, career minded individuals.
The organisation in question is looking for genuine business leaders capable of inspiring others to embrace change.
Please apply by emailing your up to date CV and full package details to: email@example.com
Unfortunately due to the expectedly highly levels of applications we are only able to respond to those with the requisite skills and experiences suited to this role.
Apply for Operations Director
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly