Based in Belgium
Job ref: LS/39756
Our client is a global producer of PVB interlayers who are now seeking to recruit a talented Technology Director who will take responsibility for the Technology and Research performance and its’ mid – long term development. The successful candidate will hold a Masters in Chemistry and be fluent in minimum English but ideally also in Dutch and German. You need to be happy to travel between sites in Germany and Belgium.
The Technology Director will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer of the company and will take personal responsibility for the Technology and Research performance and its mid-long term development. This includes a team of two Polymer Engineers, four people accountable for the Quality and application development and an Analytical & Process Support person. Consequently the leadership span results in a manning of seven people.
- Be responsible for a diversified PVB raw material development including additive options for processing the new Polyvinyl-butyl base resins at identical / better operational conditions within the production plant.
- Convert application specific innovation opportunities into tangible PVB glass laminating sheet solutions for the architectural / constructing market.
- Continuously search for cost reduction by either selection of new plasticizers, additives, changing the formulations and make the relevant risk assumptions behind it.
- The Technology Director owns a unique tool / implementation box by a brand-new pilot line and a state of the art mechanical / chemical lab, currently developed and installed the Headquarters. This was installed adjacent to the production line in June 2016 and will be finished in November 2017.
Overall Technology Strategy development and its implementation
Raw Material development:
- Test, modify & optimize available PVB base resins on the Pilot plant and ensure that those newly approved raw materials can be ran on the production line at –minimum- identical, current quality and at better economics.
- This enforces excellent access to PVB raw material suppliers, some of them are direct competitors, and eloquent technical discussions with those supplier candidates.
- On top an overall formulation know-how in combination with that newly approved PVB neat resins plays a critical role.
- Next to base resin and formulation knowhow, hardware items need to be assessed by the Technology Director. Not only the technical proof of equipment’s like continuous mixing, compacting or side feeders must be verified from the technological capability perspective but also the underlying economics have to be underpinned by crystal- clear business cases.
Application Specific PVB glass laminating sheet innovations:
- The Technology Director owns the accountability to turn application specific requirements’, emerging from the architectural glass laminating market, quicker than competition into PVB sheet solutions.
- Consequently driving a stage gate process for generating new ideas, selecting them together with the Management Team, pilot-scale and upscale them is a key competence.
- The Technology Director should also support Marketing in defining a profitable value proposition for those newly developed products
Plasticizer and Additive cost reduction:
- Continuous cost reductions within the plasticizer and other additive packaging options represents another accountability, either by selection of alternative suppliers or reduction of the specifications limits
- Again the pilot plant utilization is here the key tool for providing clear tight guidance for operations.
- Search for alternative glass laminating materials like EVA, cross-linked Polyethylene
- This requires critical expertise in polymer chemistry, combined with process\formulation expertise
- Provides assistance in identification and development of alternative strategies in support to the manufacturing process, aiming at increased flexibility and capacity.
- Responsible for business support, i.e. supporting trials, responding to Manufacturing issues and resolving customer issues.
- Responsible for laboratory safety.
- Budgeting and staffing for the Technology department.
The ideal person:
- An executive with more than 10 years of experience in roles of increasing responsibility in polymer chemistry within a manufacturing company operating internationally, or within a division of a large corporation leading to a multi-country experience.
- Will have had exposure to raw material development, ideally in the PVB value chain, budgeting/S&OP processes, investment cases and innovation Stage Gate tools.
- Facultative this person could emerge directly from high reputation technical universities, however acceptance of tight training and coaching needs are a pre-requisite.
- Experience partnering with an executive team enhanced by a high level of written and verbal communication skills is important.
- The person we seek needs to be more than a Technology Director, it´s a change agent. The ability to lead and develop a small team that currently has limited experience, plus a pull communication/leadership style towards operations, are the principal challenges.
- Pragmatic and able to take decisions independently based on technical experience and personal credibility, the person we seek will be able to look beyond operative development activities of transactional tenor and evaluate the long term consequences of the developed technology strategy and advise the Board, CEO and management team accordingly.
- The person will move the Technology Team from a narrow focused, activity based development mindset towards a unison capability to see the big technology framework.
- Master Degree in Chemistry (focal point: Polymers), ideally in combination with an economic base education.
- Fluency in English is required. Additional languages, in particular German and Dutch, will be advantageous.
To apply please contact Linda Samuelsson
0044(0) 1789 207070
For EU roles, candidates must be eligible to work and live in the European Union.
Proof of eligibility will be required with your application.
Listgrove has offices in Stratford-upon-Avon, Düsseldorf, Lyon, Barcelona, Milan,
Amsterdam, Malmö and Dubai
PLASTICS - PETROCHEMICALS - PACKAGING - CHEMICALS - ENERGY – ENVIRONMENT
Listgrove Limited Registered in England No: 1197713
Visit us at the following exhibitions in 2017 & 2018: Interpack, Moulding Expo, fip Solutions, Kunststoffen, Interplas,
Fakuma, PlastMilan, Compounding World