The role, Packaging Technologist...
Reporting to the Packaging Development Manager, you will be part of a passionate and driven packaging team. As the company's Packaging Technologist, you will use all your skills and experiences to provide product technical expertise in the development of new products and changes to existing ones. To co-ordinate and support delivery of packaging development across EPD, NPD, cost-engineering and innovation projects.
The ever increasing and complex packaging portfolio requires the Packaging Technologist to work closely with the Packaging Development Manager and internal and external stakeholders, supporting with recommendations and investigation conclusions to ensure we meet business objectives.
The role heavily encompasses food manufacturing and the candidate will be a key driver for providing packaging solutions to meet business objectives, both commercial and brand focused.
What you will be responsible for?...
- Providing the Packaging Development Manager with accurate and timely packaging information.
- Support the introduction of new packaging and amendments to existing packaging materials and components through the development of specifications and tooling as required in accordance with business briefs and project timelines.
- Work alongside internal and external stakeholders to ensure structural design integrity, development of creative concepts, mock ups and samples.
- Provide guidance, advice and support to the relevant teams n packaging structures, materials, print and specification throughout the design process.
- Approval of technical drawings and print specifications to complete product validation.
- Supporting artwork/repro processes, following approval processes, whilst maintaining system records.
- Collecting and tracking of all packaging related data from development stage to sign off.
- Assisting in the compilation of finished goods specifications once validated.
- Conducting factory trails, reporting and liaising directly with stakeholders to support product investigations, optimisation targets and project delivery.
- Assist the quality team on supplier and production matters relating to packaging.
- Assist in the non-conformance procedure and help to implement quality standards with suppliers competently to provide resolutions going forward.
What we’re looking for in you...
- Ideally packaging development knowledge of design, innovation and project management through to commercialisation, within an FMCG background.
- A proven track record in project management gained within the Food, Food Retail or FMCG sectors.
- Preferably educated to degree level in a relevant technical, food and or packaging related subject.
- Strong understanding of packaging operations, packaging materials, specifications, equipment and processes.
- Good knowledge desirable across rigid and flexible plastics, carton board and corrugated categories.
- An ability to support researching, sourcing, cost-engineering and selecting supply partners to progress current and future supply of materials.
- Demonstrate a competent level of knowledge of printing processes used within the food industries.
Key personal attributes and skills include...
- Excellent project management skills supported by strong communication skills.
- Good reporting discipline with attention to detail.
- Highly motivated with excellent planning and organisational skills.
- Can do/problem-solving, positive and pro-active attitude.
- Comfortable working across the Microsoft Office suite (particularly Excel) with strong presentation skills.
What we will expect in first 6 months...
- Hit the ground running, taking ownership of current live projects, with the support of department associates and the wider business.
- Achieve a high level of success, delivering projects on time, meeting all desired objectives.
- Lead the business in the early stages of any future development and innovation inquiries.
- To show a real enthusiasm for tackling and solving business challenges, whether project based or problem solving/troubleshooting issues.
- To be proactive to identify, propose and resolve supply chain, technical and operational packaging issues.
What’s in it for you?
- graze is a young company, one of the UK’s fastest growing premium healthy eating food brands and we are moving rapidly into new commercial areas including retail and new geographies, so you’ll be joining a progressive and expanding company which offers learning and opportunity for you to grow.
- This an amazing opportunity to grow your career and be part of a truly dynamic team and business.
- graze has an entrepreneurial mind set moving at a pace, with an exciting pipeline of new products, delivering true innovation to the snacking and healthy eating category to achieve its ambitious growth plans.
- There are some seriously smart, agile, informed, helpful, modest, funny and dedicated people in the business!
- You’d be part of a culture that revolves around us doing a great job by being helpful, open, inclusive, pioneering, commercially aware, persistent and honest.
- We encourage active learning with access for all employees to our studio sessions, job specific learning and networking opportunities.