Packaging Director - Beauty, Fragrance & Healthcare - Europe
In the role of Packaging Director, you are the leader of the Global Packaging team responsible for one of the key functions within the business : Developing packaging aligned to the New Product Development process. In your role you will lead the team of technologist and managers, focusing on the manufacturing of components as well as supporting filling activities. Within this process you will be responsible for the strategy of the department as well as the development of the team.
- Leader of the Packaging Development team responsible for developing around 400 new cosmetic and wellness SKUs annually
- Key driver of the Packaging Development Strategy, ensuring that it aligns with the overall company strategy and contributes to the overriding business goals
- Establishes workload priorities to ensure all projects are managed within expected due dates.
- 8 direct reports (category managers who in turn manage teams of Packaging Developers, Packaging Engineers), overall team of 18 . The role will manage the budget for the whole team.
- Recruitment, organizing and/or conducting training, conducting performance reviews, and ensuring assigned work is performed to required standards.
- Presents results of work, interprets data, and draws conclusions regarding presented material and nature of work
- Supervises and monitors performance of Manufacturing Group Leaders and Technicians.
- Provides input and guides the team on achieving optimised cost targets by applying experience, knowledge, research and analysis on design, risk analysis, manufacturing processes, materials and sourcing as the project demand
- Builds value analysis into every new development ensuring the construction and design provides the most cost effective way to achieve design criteria but also provide the best function and quality.
- Defines and approve all necessary packaging component testing; via the Product Testing and Scale-up team within our Global Research and Development Centre.
- Approves relevant performance criteria, create and maintain the resulting packaging specifications.
- Provides post launch support of improvements and efficiencies related to existing portfolio packaging
- Works on a wide range of problems where analysis of situations or data requires evaluation of intangible variables, requiring regular use of ingenuity and creativity.
- Acts as a spokesperson, internal consultant, or advisor to top management on engineering matters in area(s) of specialty as well as packaging strategy as a whole.
- Direct and Indirect Management: • Manages direct reports ensuring they are provided the necessary support and tools to succeed on the assigned task or project. • Communicates and work closely with all development groups including Marketing, NPD, Procurement, R&D, Artwork and Design. • Builds and cultivates relationships with Marketing, Global Manufacturing and Manufacturing Engineering, Quality, NPD, Procurement and Planning
- Keep up to date with developments in all areas of packaging (technology, exhibition, trends, etc.)
- Drive innovation by presenting new packaging concepts, technologies and delivery systems to support new Marketing, Product Development and Design ideas
- Bring creativity to the product design process
To be successful in your role you will be able to work under your own supervision and will need to enjoy working in teams as you will have interactions with many other stakeholders. You will need to be organised, able to manage challenges and differing priorities for products at different stages of development. You have a vision for packaging and know what to put in place in order to achieve it. You need to be technically and commercially minded in order to offer the best solution to the business. The work environment is fast moving and entrepreneurial. Plans are frequently changing so you need to be flexible and show that you can easily adapt. More than anything you need to be passionate about packaging. You are a natural leader a mentor and can easily motivate your team into delivering the NPD plans.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
Communication and Networking
Strong ability to influence and convey information to others in an effective manner; positive, clear and to the point.
Distinguishes relevant from irrelevant information and makes timely and transparent decisions based on a mixture of analysis, experience and judgement.
Ability to build and manage relationships with suppliers on various levels.
Capability to independently propose technical “solutions”. Knowledge of relevant component materials, production processes and limitations. Proficiency to translate these criteria into advice and support to partners in Component Manufacture, Filling and Marketing.
A clear understanding of the business goals and how a Packaging Development team can contribute to improved sales, margins and brand perception
Able to adapt solutions in a fast moving environment
Able to drive own projects while respecting product development timings
Effective trouble shooting skills and risk assessment competencies. Ability to dynamically assess issues and propose solutions independently or as part of a team.
Leading and developing
Confident leader and mentor, able to act as a support from a technical point of view and able to manage and develop the technologist/manager in his / her team
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- University degree Bachelor or Master in packaging, science, engineering & IOP or equivalent
- 12 + years of experience in FMCG (combination of various companies) and proven track record of successful developments
Apply for Packaging Director - Beauty, Fragrance & Healthcare - Europe
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly