Division: EPUK Retail & Consolidation
Reporting to: The Shareholders
Direct reports: Sales Director, Head of Purchasing*, Consolidation Manager*, IT Director, Product Development Director, Finance Director* (these individuals have responsibility for both Euro Packaging and Jena)
Founded over 40 years ago the group is privately owned and comprises three operating divisions. The business is extremely commercial and the family have huge growth ambitions. It is the company’s objective to provide a quality service along with quality products at value for money prices, which not only meet, but exceed customers’ expectations. The ability to procure, sell and deliver efficiently ensures this business is a leading provider in its sector.
The business supplies goods not for resale as well as goods for resale which are manufactured in house and also third party sourced. Products are sold predominantly to retail and HORECA customers through a variety of innovative and value-add delivery and distribution options.
The business continues to invest in acquisitions as well as CAPEX. They have invested heavily in systems and process (MRP and MIS) which provide customers greater visibility and control of their order data through a shared online platform. This is a market leading tool which exceeds the customer’s expectation in achieving efficiency, cost savings and control – a breakthrough in the provision of a true partnership between supplier and customer.
The forward plan is:
- To continue to invest in infrastructure as well as the business (R&D etc.) to drive competitive advantage
- To continue to invest and evolve their offering
- To continue to invest in systems and processes
- To build on the growth platform of a loyal customer base in both operating models
- Exploit the data captured through their unique MIS and continue to provide this to each customer for added value and partnership longevity
- Attract new customers across both operating models
- Explore growth through acquisition
The appointee will have full commercial accountability for the Euro Packaging Retail & Consolidation division comprising the Retail Supplies (bulk) business and Consolidation revenue stream. Reporting directly to the owners, the core task will be to drive the company vision and values in order to inspire the people to meet the ambitious growth targets.
- Accountable for the overall strategy, operational effectiveness and total profitability of the business in order to help realise the family’s aspirations.
- Provide leadership for Euro Packaging’s continued development with a focus on sustainable, profitable growth. Ensure that the company’s people, organisational and manufacturing infrastructure keeps up with the rapid pace of top line growth. Demonstrate leadership in adherence to high standards of integrity and ethical behaviour.
- Through prudent use of capital, deliver sustainable operational advantage and efficiencies across the existing businesses.
- Fully accountable for the performance and ongoing competitive market position based on innovation in quality, design, delivery and customer focus.
- Ensure that the Group’s culture and values are maintained and further strengthened among the employees and also in all dealings with the customers.
The immediate priorities of the appointee would be:
- Immersion in the business – fully understand its DNA and its culture. Establish credentials, authority and confidence with the owners and devise a strong working relationship with them.
- Gain an immediate understanding of current company performance including trading patterns with the major customers and the current market dynamics. Build a clear picture of the competitive landscape and begin to anticipate trends and exploit opportunities while minimising threats.
- Provide inspirational leadership and motivate the team to devise and deliver against ambitious but stretching targets in the current budget year.
- Establish oneself as the ‘figurehead’ of the business both internally and with customers and suppliers.
- Own the budget and performance objectives for the existing financial year – quickly grasp the performance levers and begin to construct the plan for 2018 and beyond.
- Work with the owners and the executive team to continue to evolve and refresh the strategic plan, which balances the drive to grow revenues alongside prudent control of the cost base and a sensible use of resources. Strengthen and continue to modernise the supply chain functions and explore ways to professionalise the operations further. Develop the processes, systems and leadership capabilities that will underpin EPUK’s continuing growth.
- Refine, develop and implement a 2018/19 plan to achieve key financial targets with regard to sales (up to £100m) by continuing to lead the market on quality, service and innovation.
- Review the quality and depth of management. Become clear as to what needs to be done further to strengthen the existing business over the medium term and build succession capability.
- Oversee presentation of budgets to include sales forecasts, profit plans, staffing requirements, cost drivers and cash flow projections.
- Examine plans for future growth in key markets including an acquisition strategy.
The candidate Core Competencies
- Results orientated strategic leader: highly analytical, capable of trend and insight management of complex multi-dimensional market dynamics. A track record of leading sustainable profitable growth in a £85m - £200m turnover UK business in a highly competitive market by finding a value added point of difference which creates competitive advantage. Led second and third phase growth by staying with a business for longer periods to prove capability.
- Strategic and operational: effectively deals with complexity across a variety of challenges including multiple offerings and multi customers. Able to deal with strategy, people, commercials, culture and change in parallel – a strategist and tactician, an effective leader and figurehead but is also hands on and grounded.
- Drive and Resilience: desire and a passion to succeed and treat the business as one’s own. Ability to deal with setbacks and unplanned occurrences. Mature, pragmatic and logical leader with high integrity.
- Commercial Understanding: commercially aware of the impact of decisions and the ability to apply a realistic assessment on risk and necessity. Experience in a market dominated by progressive customers in an environment where key account management, effective sales and marketing initiatives, cost control and a quality service are key to success.
- Financially Literate: Used to managing a complex P&L and balance sheet; experienced in budgets including ROI led capital expenditure and ideally with some exposure to Mergers & Acquisitions.
- Communication and Influence: trust in core team; prepared to delegate responsibility and authority whilst providing guidance and leadership through excellent communication skills. Strong people focused leader who commands immediate respect among colleagues and builds effective teams. Comfortable in managing the dynamics of an independent company.
- Agent for Change: champion for continuous improvement with proven flexibility and open mindedness; has vision and can bring people along through persuasive and credible communication.
- External face: Customer focused but decisive, is able to hold their own, and walk away from unprofitable business. Demonstrates the ability to lead from the front and get involved with customers in a sector in which integrity and strong personal relationships with key customers are important.
- An experienced and hands-on Managing Director, with experience in leading a multi-functional senior team. Strong and proven commercial leadership abilities, understands the mechanics of tight cost control within a service/ distributive industry. Must have sales and operations experience as well as purchasing knowledge, ideally including International Purchasing / International Suppliers – needs to be a generalist with a good understanding of all business functions. Experience with goods not for resale, or wholesaling would be helpful – but experience in leading a high volume, low margin business is essential along with a focus on the detail of margin and cost control.
- The appointee will take a proprietorial responsibility for the business, reporting to and winning the confidence of the owners, and with a full mandate to deliver an audacious growth plan – and to benefit from the rewards of success. Therefore experience in an entrepreneurial owner/founder business would be a bonus.