Group Packaging Technologist
The role of the Group Packaging Technologist is primarily to support and where relevant, lead, the design and development of structural packaging initiatives for all sites for the company, based on consumer insights and market/business requirements.
Reporting into the Group Head of Packaging, this role is responsible for developing packaging material specifications to meet the needs of the consumer, customer, distribution, shelf life, product protection, filling line performance and national regulations.
You will be required to work closely with Technical, NPD, Production, Engineering and Procurement across all sites in order to ensure alignment in all new projects.
- Develop and progress new packaging solutions on a regional and global scale, ensuring packaging is fit for purpose (by completing testing and trials) by following best practice in packaging.
- Manage technical data reports – project data, specifications, specs and test results.
- Comply with business principles and QA policies including the support of product claims, risk management and environmental awareness.
- Work with suppliers in order to identify new and innovative packaging solutions.
- Keep up to date with technical innovations.
- Running trials to check packaging for suitability and testing for performance under various conditions.
People/ Key Skills / Requirements:
- Graduate calibre with a degree or equivalent qualification in an appropriate technical or engineering subject.
- Good working and technical knowledge of food packing formats in retail stores today.
- The ability to regularly travel across Europe in order to spread best practice and engage in trials at all sites.
- Creativity and skills to introduce new innovative pack formats, ensuring consideration to the environment, shelf life and added value.
- Good technical experience on a range of packaging materials.
- Good attention to detail and be able to analyse, trouble shoot and problem solve.
- Excellent team working abilities
- Previous experience in a similar environment is preferable, due to the unique working conditions when on the factory floor.
- Continual review of new technologies, products and market developments that could benefit both sites and Group.
- Uphold culture of continuous improvement.
- Analyse and action KPI information to understand areas in need of improvement.
- Actively participate in continuous improvement project teams within the business.