European Packaging Manager - Sourcing (candidates can be based in Italy, Spain, Benelux or UK)
The European Packaging Manager will be responsible for developing, implementing and managing the European sourcing & packaging category as well as day to day management of the regional packaging suppliers. This aim of the Global packaging strategy is to meet our customer’s needs through the leveraging of scale, and the provision of greater value in cost, speed to market, innovation, delivery, responsiveness and quality of services offered. There is potential for this role to evolve into a global category lead role in the future. This role will identify and lead cross functional sourcing projects and events within the category in support of both the regional and Global packaging strategy.
The role will be responsible for management of approximately €22 million of packaging spend covering Plastic, Steel & Paper. This position will be responsible for the efficient execution of spend on behalf of production sites situated in Italy, Belgium & Spain plus a number of third party filling locations.
You will be expected to create efficiencies through the leveraging of spend, optimisation of specifications and execution of strategic projects in line with the Global Packaging Strategy that will result in annualised savings of approximately 5%+ per annum.
· Manage packaging projects within the European region from beginning to end and be responsible for delivery against savings, budgetary and timeline targets. These projects require working across multiple functions and business units.
· Specific projects include supporting the region during the implementation phase of a new global packaging harmonisation roll out. Working closely with key marketing stakeholders to develop transition plans that ensure all measures of performance are achieved while enhancing value delivery
· In support of the above the post holder will play a key role in the development of a sourcing strategies that enable the business to maximise value delivery as we align the supply base
· Negotiate supply contracts and pricing reviews, utilising various face to face, paper based and electronic auction techniques.
· Develop and execute contracts, while both managing and taking a leading role in developing key relationships for strategic suppliers, developing partnering solutions as appropriate.
· Application of strategic sourcing and supplier management processes and procedures within the packaging market sector. Ensure continuous improvement of supplier performance and ensure communication of critical business metrics.
· Work within an extended cross functional regional and Global network to determine and develop packaging project ideas and provide business case evaluation.
· Act as an expert resource and project leader in regional & global packaging projects.
· Apply appropriate project management processes.
· Support all regional plants and the Global Packaging Manager with regard to any quality issues and/or supply constraints.
· Develop cost reduction project portfolio
· Provide price forecast for key raw materials.
· Lead procurement change processes within the Regional Packaging Category.
• Management of high number of SKU’s
• SKU complexity
• Diverse Stakeholders with occasional competing objectives
• Candidate will be required to challenge status quo and champion new ways of working.
Communication and Working Relationship (Internal/External):
External - Suppliers, Customers. Outside agencies and consultancy teams
Internal - Group & Regional Supply Chain functions, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Operations
Qualifications & Education reuqired :
· Bachelor's degree (Technical, Business or related disciplines); Master or MBA desirable
· Relevant advanced degree or training / certificate in procurement preferred but not essential
· MCIPS Qualification highly desirable
· Fluent English
Experience: · Candidates must have at least 5+ years’ experience in a comparable role and must be capable of delivering commercial, compliant and pragmatic sourcing strategies
· Demonstrated ability to develop sourcing strategies
· Manage, coach and train the direct reports within the category team
· Demonstrated skill to lead a category team
· In-depth understanding/practical experience of packaging within a manufacturing/plant environment, demonstrable understanding of packaging technologies, suppliers and raw materials ideally gained from within a sizeable FMCG company.
· Demonstrated track record of success in managing complex, cross-functional activities and in identifying cost reduction opportunities in this category
· Excellent interpersonal, business acumen, communication, organisational and presentation skills
· Ability to make decisions with limited knowledge or guidance
· Ability to initiate, align and prioritise tasks to support strategic objectives
· Great negotiation skills
· Both analytical skills and strategic insight
· Strong sense of accountability
· Excellent written, verbal communication and project management skills
· High proficiency in MS Office applications and affinity with SAP
· Additional European languages would be advantageous.
· Willing to travel (about 25% of time)