A large multinational, which manufactures consumer goods across the globe, has a great career opportunity for an astute problem-solver with experience of big data technologies and ontology-based data integration. We seek a strong communicator able to convey complex concepts to a non-expert audience.
This role involves providing informatics expertise for the analysis of biological and chemical data and the design and development of a novel infrastructure for the department. This infrastructure will provide a platform that will incorporate a knowledge management system, data integration tools, models and databases (both internal and external) to enable both expert computational scientists and risk assessors to apply Next Generation Risk Assessment skills and technologies to safety risk and impact assessments for the company. The platform will need to be capable of handling biological and chemical assay, omics and high content image data types. The role will also work across R&D to ensure that flexible approaches and resources are built and adopted for a wider R&D user base. The role will be part of team leading the change agenda, to ensure that novel approaches for risk and impact assessment are embedded within the organisation.
You will be required to work with a range of scientific experts in many different disciplines, including biologists, toxicologists, eco-toxicologists, computational chemists and mathematical modellers. You will need to be able to communicate effectively with stakeholders and provide training for experts and non-experts within the department.
As a member of the Team the role holder will:
- Analyse large datasets encompassing the biological and chemistry domains in a context dependent manner
- Interface effectively and work closely with scientists across the department to identify requirements for data storage, retrieval, analysis and meaningful visualisation
- Drive the advancement of our capabilities in meaningful data management and integration from internal & public sources
- Provide design and development expertise for components of a data science platform; including development and dissemination of user-friendly tools, workflows and databases to a wide group of scientists within the company
- Provide training to both expert and non-expert users to ensure novel approaches are embedded within the organisation
- Work with other scientists in R&D to drive adoption of new informatics infrastructure and approaches
- Liaise with external data providers to ensure data structure aligns to in-house requirements and appropriate meta-data is obtained
- Develop working partnerships with leaders in the informatics field
- Relevant degree in bioinformatics or computational biology or equivalent with significant professional experience in this area
- Strong technical background with demonstrated programming skills in at least one of the following: Perl, Python, R, Java
- Ability to work autonomously
- Strong written & verbal communication skills
- Ability to lead and motivate others