Packaging Development Manager
A global leader, specializing in the design, development and manufacturing of primary packaging componentry for the cosmetics, toiletries, skincare and fragrance market sectors. With state of the art manufacturing facilities in China, USA and Europe & global turnover in excess of $350m, our clients reputation and business growth has been achieved by providing customers with innovative product design, and high quality componentry, combined with customer focussed support.
We are seeking to recruit a passionate, talented & experienced Packaging Development Manager with with high performance injection molding expertise. Secondary decorating experience would be ideal also.
The position of Packaging Development Manager will be based in Southern UK, however, the role will require UK, European and global travel.
It is envisaged that the Packaging Development Manager will work alongside, and ultimately replace the Technical Director who will be retiring in the next 2 years.
Individual responsibility will include:
· Autonomous leadership of the complete development process, including the creation of packaging designs, prototype development and performance testing
· Close liaison with the Senior Project Management team on new and existing packaging designs, materials and processes, providing timely, cost effective and creative solutions.
· Responsibility for generating new packaging designs. Working closely with the Design Director to create innovative and creative design proposals, from conception to 3D modelling for review by Senior Sales teams
· Establish quality standards and guidelines for submission to, and approval by, key customers
· Work closely with UK Project Team and also with China, USA and European company colleagues to optimise packaging supply base for cost, lead time, quality and regionalisation
· Manage and control multiple technical projects simultaneously.
· Provide on-site leadership and support for customer visits and manage component/pack qualification process for key initiatives
· Management of component/pack validation of component parts, including submission and presentation of samples and data to the customer
· Approval of component standards and technical specifications
· Generate and champion new and innovative design, material and finishing solutions.
The Packaging Development Manager will report to the UK General Manager and will support the current Technical Director. Close liaison and communication with the UK Project Management Team regarding the design and development of new bespoke and stock pack designs will be a major part of the role.
Key connections will regularly include Design, Marketing, Production and Sales counterparts within our facilities in the UK, USA, China and mainland Europe.
The Packaging Development Manager must be a self-starter, with the ability to operate independently, or within a multi-regional, multi discipline team
Key Qualifications required :
The Packaging Development Manager role requires an engineering, science or analytical background or approach.
A Degree or HNC qualification in a science based subject &/or previous experience (minimum 5 years +) in a similar role within the cosmetics /beauty market/manufacturing sector idealy from a packaging supplier or contract manufacturer.
Experience of product design, from concept illustration, through 3D modelling to proof of principle manufacturing will be necessary, whilst deep knowledge of QA/QC procedures advantageous.
A self-starting and problem solving attitude, together with decision making skills are essential for this role, in order to be capable to work independently and as part of a multi disciplined team.
Excellent communication and presentation skills, both orally and in writing are essential, as is the ability to generate and analyse statistical control data.
Other Requirements of the Role
The Packaging Development Manager must be prepared to travel and present to customers within the UK and mainland Europe.
Additionally, travel to the USA and/or China, in order to undertake business meetings and project/component qualifications will form a significant part of the role. A full driving license is essential.