Packaging Project Manager
Global iconic food brands , continuous innovation and endless opportunities to grow, this is a fantastic opportunity for a Packaging Project Manager to join our Packaging team.
The successful candidate will plan and deliver new packaging development projects from concept to delivery; preparing and maintaining pack specifications and to delivering the technical support to the European manufacturing plants. You will manage multiple projects of varying complexity and interdependencies. In addition they will assess risks appropriately and minimise them throughout the development phases. Attention to detail, problem solving and a drive to deliver projects with excellence, will be key to success!
As Packaging Project Manager you will build a significant network within R&D, Marketing/Procurement/Manufacturing and externally with suppliers - as well supporting and coaching more junior members of the packaging team.
This position is based in the UK centre of technical excellence but will also include an element of European travel estimated to be c10-20%.
• Responsibility for developing and implementing innovative packaging solutions and packaging systems with highest level of consumer acceptance at the optimum cost while maintaining an appropriate quality to drive growth
• Participates in project initiation and grasps business challenges and opportunities in scoping and refining ideas into SMART packaging briefs (meeting consumer/ customer needs and technical and supply chain requirements)
• Uses technical & business knowledge to influence commercial, supply chain & purchasing in strategic decision-making process.
• Ensures intellectual property requirements fulfilled as necessary.
• Formulates project objectives, prepares project plans & coordinates, performs & reports risk analyses, whilst demonstrating technical rigour at all times.
• Establishes a good working rapport with plant personnel to ensure maximum effectiveness of the trials and project success
• Establishes network with existing Suppliers, plus develops new Suppliers in conjunction with Procurement. Maintains contact with Suppliers on a regular basis
• Demonstrates a high degree of independence, self-direction and creativity and shows a commitment to self-development.
• Is prepared to provide some technical coaching to more junior team members
• Is an active member of the R&D Packaging community
Qualifications + Skills required :
As Packaging Project Manager you will demonstrate excellent packaging technology knowledge to drive the portfolio delivery, most notably in flexible, carton & corrugated board and rigid plastic materials.
• BSc. in Packaging Engineering, Chemical Engineering, material science & transformation, or similar
• Understanding of food safety aspects (HACCP)
• General knowledge of packaging regulatory aspects
• Specialisation in at least one Packaging area (e.g. polymer & polymer transformation, packaging regulation, printing…)
• Excellent understanding of project management
• Creativity, innovation, quick problem solving
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to lead or work as part of a team and independently
• High awareness of safety principles
• Computer literacy (Microsoft suite including Ms Project, AutoCAD, InterSpec, PPMS, Minitab or other statistical software etc…)
• Extensive relevant (packaging) work experience, preferably in an FMCG project
• Broad and in-depth knowledge of food packaging technologies
• Good understanding of product / packaging development sequence
• Ability to plan and conduct short, medium and long-term projects with some level of complexity and to work on several projects simultaneously. Must be able to manage time and other resources effectively
• English (preferably native speaker)
• General knowledge of food related technologies
• Another EU language (e.g. FR / DE / PL)
We pride ourselves on having a high performing and collaborative culture where we offer support and development to enhance your career and develop your knowledge and skills.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package within a highly successful International business that offers financial rewards and resources, including bonus scheme, contributory pension, life assurance, generous holiday allowance and a flexible benefits programme.