Packaging Development Manager (Fragrance & Cosmetics)
Reporting to the Head of NPD, the successful applicant to this exciting role will be leading Packaging Development activities required for the successful development and launch of products associated with portfolio programs for current brands and new pipeline ventures. Part of the NPD team, this person will be accountable for delivery of his branded packaging propositions right first time, on time in full, at expected cost and quality.
This role involves fast pace development of branded Fragrance & Cosmetic products, including technical design and delivery of full packaging solutions (primary, secondary), artwork management, selection and qualification of external contract manufacturing partners and components suppliers, validation of production, all the way to successful delivery in market. Product lines involve Fine Fragrances, Ancillaries, Gifts with Purchase (GwP), and Giftsets.
The role necessitates a high level of internal collaboration with multi-functional partners across the DP organisation (Marketing, Planning, Manufacturing, Regulatory, etc) as well as externally (Packaging suppliers, Contract manufacturers, Design agencies, etc), which the successful candidate will have to excel in.
You will lead initiatives, leveraging expertise and coaching from their management and network with agility where needed, talking personal responsibility and accountability for their projects and keeping key stakeholders informed of progress at all times.
As a Packaging Development expert, the successful candidate will also have the opportunity and responsibility to build capability of the R&D organisation in Packaging development, driving organisational continuous improvement in expertise and reliability/efficiency of packaging development processes and tools.
The role may in time involve management of more junior team members.
With sourcing models involving either Contract filling of internally developed solutions or Turnkey sourcing of full solutions, the applicant will need to be able to handle what’s needed to design and deliver a packaging solution effectively to fit supply chain needs and launch requirements. In this context, needs from the role will include all or part of the below responsibilities depending on the specific launches sourcing models:
- Partner with Marketing and Design to bring to life the desired aesthetic intent into a technically feasible packaging proposition, meeting costs targets, desired launch timings, and imperatives to meet required quality expectations.
- Brief suppliers competitively and drive supplier choice based on ability to meet design intent at cost, in time, with demonstrated quality, and in accordance to Corporate Procurement strategy
- Provide a comprehensive feasibility study of each concept or package that defines function, manufacturability, cost of goods, tooling estimates, preliminary development lead time, and inherent risks.
- Own Cost of Goods (COGS) – Support Marketing in the scoping process to ensure target COGS are realistic vs. marketing brief and product specifications. Develop estimated COGS to enable design and supplier choices, and ensure delivery on target via disciplined and rigorous packaging development process. Be proactive in offering creative solutions where not meeting targets.
- Develop tooling strategy to support both preliminary forecast and weekly rate of production requirements on-going.
- Coordinate technical development of all packaging materials in partnership with suppliers, and own technical validation of concepts, production tools and assembly methodologies to ensure successful launch.
- In cases where going for Turnkey supply models where Contract Manufacturers own the development of Packaging, partner closely with the Contract Manufacturer to ensure technical design robustness, appropriate choice of materials suppliers, and monitor strength of the technical development process throughout.
- Develop technical specifications for individual packaging materials for alignment with packaging suppliers.
- Develop BOM and finished goods specification, for clarity of instructions and expectations from the Contract Manufacturers. Part of this, develop aesthetic panoplies detailing finished quality expectations and align with Marketing.
- Partner with internal Manufacturing and Contract Manufacturers to design and validate the assembly and filling processes. Ensure QA systems and processes are in place to deliver the required quality at launch, and across the lifetime of the initiative. Actively validate quality of finished assembled products at the Contract Manufacturer during launch production. Organise QC to support specific needs for launch in case needed
- Ensure packages/components meet the needs of the Brand, Corporation, Regulatory and Environmental Legislation, and consumer safety in partnership with the Regulatory group.
- Coordinate the development, approval process and delivery of Artworks of packaging components with excellence.
- Build and communicate detailed component timelines including all package development tasks and manage them actively through initiative CPS. Partner with the Initiative Planner to ensure all actions are delivered on time and any risk or need for help is elevated at the right time for awareness and help from senior management
Qualifications & Experience
- 4 + years experience in Packaging Development for the Beauty industry
- Experience in leading new packaging development from design phase to in-market delivery (including tooling and production line qualification)
- Track record of personally leading successful in market launches.
- Experience and strength in collaboration with both internal (Marketing, procurement, Manufacturing etc) and external stakeholders (suppliers, Contract Manufacturers, design agencies, fashion houses etc)
- Ability to work internationally. Able to travel when required by strategic programs (global suppliers and plants)
- Academic qualifications: Masters in sciences or Bachelors with relevant experience
- Professional fluency in English
· Be accountable - Accountability and acting like an owner of the company at all times. The successful candidate will have to be a self-starter, driven to ride obstacles and relentless in the pursuit of challenging objectives.
· Be brave - Delivering value to the business and organisation above and beyond expectations, and consistently beating goals.
· Be pragmatic - Acting like an entrepreneur, with agility and a sense of urgency in all matters. Making new un-obvious connections and looking to leverage the best of the existing and develop new solutions with ownership, agility and speed.
· Be collaborative – Looking to win first and foremost as a team, adding strong personal value in all matters including voicing disagreements, while backing decisions made. A positive attitude, assuming good intent in colleagues and not engaging in office politics.
· Be agile - Proven ability to operate successfully through changing times.
Apply for Packaging Development Manager (Fragrance & Cosmetics)
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly