Job role & responsibilities....
A little bit about the role:
You are responsible for assisting in the development, specification and manufacture of packaging and packaging materials. In choosing the correct materials you will consider their suitability for efficient and effective use within our manufacturing operation, packaging sustainability and environmental impact, and optimising unit costs.
Liaise daily with our Manufacturing, Procurement and Design teams and suppliers to ensure the material and equipment relationship, existing and new, is “fit for purpose” now and for the foreseeable future.
You will work with the Senior Packaging Design Technologist to help create sustainable, innovative solutions for both new products and our existing & be in a position to really influence product development and direction using your packaging knowledge to develop a fit for future packaging strategy.
- Developing sustainable solutions in line with our commitment to reusable, recyclable or compostable by 2021
- Assisting in generating new packaging products in response to briefs
- Assisting in developing a robust system for packing material specifications
- Be responsible for tracking our planet pledge targets and reporting on them
- Ensuring that packaging materials and design meet set requirements and specifications
- Co-ordinating samples to try out different materials and designs
- Liaising with Design, Marketing, Purchasing and Production staff
- Helping run trials to check packaging for suitability and testing for performance under various conditions
- Assisting the in the evaluating and selecting material suppliers
- Identifying and choosing products from suppliers
- Keeping up to date with technological innovations
- Maintaining awareness and knowledge of contemporary packaging & equipment technology
Skills, experience, qualification required ….
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in a packaging/a related discipline
- Excellent communication skills
- Technical & Design skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Good attention to detail
- Good team working abilities
- Ideally you will possess proven NPD experience within the FMCG industry with the ability to deal with a complexity of products, packaging materials and technologies. You will have good technical material knowledge & excellent spoken and written communication skills. A full UK driving licence is also essential.
- Have worked in a similar FMCG role previously ( 1+ years experience) in order to have a good understanding of packaging materials and the production process
- Possess excellent project management and communication skills in order to prioritise and multitask when co-ordinating a number of different suppliers, customers and departments within the business
- You will have experience of testing primary, secondary and tertiary packaging prior to launch and ensure you are capturing data from packing through to distribution to store and consumer purchase.
- You will enjoy liaising with packaging companies whether that be existing or new, and keeping abreast of innovations in packaging to ensure the business remains at the forefront.
- You will have the ability to work at a fast pace and juggle projects
- You will be confidant in your ability to work with others internally to solve any packaging issues, as well as develop the wider site teams' knowledge of packaging by carrying out workshops.
- You will also be computer literate with excellent spoken and written communication skills.
- The ideal candidate will be have passion and energy to live our company values and be an advocate of the brand
- The ability to communicate effectively at all levels and influence others to drive things forward – verbally and in writing
- Pro-active with good organisational & planning ability, able to work strategically, systematically and with structure.
- Good problem solver, pragmatic approach and hands on.
- Positive/personable attitude
- Able to maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrable experience of handling multiple projects
up to £35k basic + generous product allowance + 33 days holidays p.a + bonus