A newly created, exciting opportunity reporting to the EU Director of Design & Innovation / VP of Sustainability
The EU Packaging Sustainability Manager can be based from the EU HQ in Brussels or offices in NL or Spain (Barcelona) or Germany. Location negotiable for the right candidate.
You will be responsible for the companies corporate sustainability strategy to generate superior business results and create competitive advantage for their solutions. Establish strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Expert point of contact throughout the business categories & customers
- Maintaining up to date knowledge of regulatory positions & potential next steps
- Leading, capturing & reporting on existing plant initiatives to give the EU sites data to support customers direct improvements / contributions to the global goals.
- Representing the companies lobbying industry groups / NGO’s etc.
- Direct link for US VP Sustainability
Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- Focal point for environmental assessments of material and competing materials; perform packaging environmental analysis for input on material selection and competitive advantage
- Provide sustainability consulting advice to customers
- Organise and respond to customer surveys on sustainability
- Provide leadership on Customer & End-User Sustainability Inquiries (e.g., carbon footprint, LCA, SEDEX, EcoVadis).
- Lead impact of sustainability downstream to key material and service suppliers
- Understand and translate impact of upcoming legislation and NGO pressure on sustainability, into forward plans internally & our supply chain
- Establish strong relationship with internal leaders in order to implement long term sustainability vision, programs, policies and initiatives to achieve business results from sustainability actions
- Provide sustainability consulting to NPD group in implementing innovation strategy, to further improve the environmental profile of our solutions (i.e. polymer replacement, advanced inks…)
- Execute communication programs to our team, market place and external stakeholders articulating sustainability programs & proactively promote paperboard and other products to create competitive advantage for the business
- Advise on suitable on pack labelling / logos that we can use to certify and promote its products covering compostability / biodegradability / recycling / certification etc.
- Provide direction to our supply chain team to assess and improve sustainability
- Focal point for fibre certification reporting
- Lead the SEDEX /SMETA compliance process within Europe
Monitoring Market Activity
- Participate in industry groups addressing sustainability issues working at the tactical levels on execution
- Monitor external environment to identify emerging trends or programs that are opportunities or threats. Review opportunities and threats with the Director and engage in initiatives to capitalize on opportunities or address threats as appropriate
- Degree in Environmental Studies, Chemistry, Social Sciences, Business, Management, Engineering, or a field related to Social/Environmental responsibility
- Experience: 5 + years of experience in social, environmental responsibility with packaging technology.
- Proven track record of leading projects and people for successful completion to achieve program goals.
- Understanding of Life Cycle Assessment principles and methodology. Ability to interpret results in relation to the product / package life cycle
- Ability to use technology to solve business problems. Primarily spreadsheets and Life Cycle Assessment tools.
- Experience with Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook. MS or higher is a benefit. MS Project would be an advantage
- Worked for/experience with European Board Mills would be an advantage
- Fluent English
- 5+ years experience working in an environment that requires the ability to conduct complex interpersonal interactions with others, solve problems, make decisions, operate independently and with discretion, and work effectively under pressure.
- Second Language an advantage but not essential
- Available to travel within Europe & the US when required.
- Effective internal negotiation skills.
- Ability to identify and analyse threats/opportunities.