You will be responsible for packaging tooling development ensuring that it is in compliance with our sustainable commitment and meets the most efficient lifecycle analysis and research, advise and develop new disruptive aspects of packaging across leading global makeup & skincare brands.
The Packaging Engineer will work from concept ideation stages, generate basic technical drawings, decide on best materials suppliers & processes to create the product and take the development through to launch, question the norm, look for new angles and materials. Expertise in plastics packaging is critical for this role.
Candidates will have good moulding industry experience/ have worked on development and reacting to various design concepts and processes . You must be passionate about sustainability and environmental issues.
Key role accountabilities:
- To ensure that the components developed satisfy both the functional and aesthetic aspects of the brief in a cost effective, technically competent, values led and timely manner. To support the Head of R&D Packaging in negotiations with suppliers to trouble shoot and solve problems as issues arise.
- Propose optimal technical solutions, review mould design, develop technical drawings and makes/organises models upon requirement.
- Carries out technical approval testing in accordance with the procedures and methods defined in the packaging design quality system and records the result
- Perform risk assessments - Carry out optimisation studies for packaging/formula combinations to satisfy product performance requirements (quality, functionality, sustainability etc
- Ensures design and expertise (Drawings, test reports, etc.) records are archived
- To liaise with the chosen Contract Filler(s) ensuring that the technical specification of the components being developed allows efficient handling on the selected production line(s). To attend and approve both component and finished goods line trials and production start-up
- To research new technologies / process / recycling options and material developments in the packaging world, ensuring that the company benefits to the maximum extent possible.
Experience required for the role :
- Demonstrate extensive understanding of all technical processes and material used in the production of Skincare & Cosmetic components and finished goods.
- A sound knowledge of the potential suppliers of components, including their background, strengths and weaknesses.
- Knowledge of Sustainable Packaging, Post Consumer Recycled plastics, Life Cycle Analysis tools
- A proven creative and proactive approach to problem solving to reconcile the aesthetic and functional desires of Category Management and Design with the inherent technical, cost and timing constraints.
- Project management
- Good communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills.
- Computer literate in all major Microsoft programmes
- Technical Degree and/or IOM3 Diploma in Packaging Technology (an advantage but not essential). Candidates must have 5 + years’ experience in Packaging Development within fmcg markets