- To own, co-ordinate, monitor and deliver the companies Packaging Strategy.
- To manage and ensure that the company complies with packaging materials and legal regulations, including levies and taxes.
- To establish and drive internal packaging value optimisation standards and ensure these are adhered to across the business.
- To raise the profile of the companies Packaging policy both internally and externally, from depot to board level, customers and suppliers.
- Develop, deliver and implement the companies Plastics and Packaging Policies. Ensure all targets and KPI’s are achieved.
- Continuously review and improve the companies Packaging/Plastic policies to ensure packaging materials and packaging structure is fit for purpose.
- Manage and adhere to product (packaging) safety compliance and ethical standards in line with legislation and corporate policy.
- Advise/Assess/Monitor legal consultation documents, packaging regulations and government consultations.
- Summarise/communicate likely impacts to relevant departments & take ownership of action plans and driving the changes required to comply.
Audit current packaging specifications to :
- establish baseline data,
- ensure compliance with legal/ethical/internal requirements and
- reduce/eliminate unnecessary packaging
- ensure the company is “Recycle Ready” for future legislation
- comply with packaging strategy and targets
- Identify areas of packaging optimisation in all Divisions to reduce/reuse/recycle where possible yet ensuring fitness for purpose. Monitor the voice of the customer in relation to packaging and address/recommend continuous improvements.
- Lead and drive the implementation and standardisation of all Own Brand product labels in line with recycle logos/government legislation (OPRL); carry out regular audits to ensure packaging components are awarded the correct (recycle/material content) logos.
- Main point of technical support/contact for packaging queries. Educate internal customers and external customers on packaging compliance.
Contribute to packaging/material aspects of our Sustainability plans.
- Typical challenges faced in the role and decisions needing to be made
Packaging alternative for existing products
Packaging Compliance scheme alternatives
Influencing Group Commercial to change packaging
Influence Suppliers to change packaging.
Finding alternative packaging types
Influencing government/external stakeholder on packaging consultation legislation
Requirements for this role, qualifications, specialist knowledge, skills or key behaviours you willneed to demonstrate to do the job effectively :
- Degree Level
- Detailed knowledge of packaging and environmental matters relating to food and non-food
- Technical knowledge of new packaging innovation/materials
- Thorough knowledge of packaging/waste legislation e.g. PWD, Essential Packaging Regulations, Materials in contact with food, BRC Global Standards Consumer Products and Packaging, Government Consultations, Extended Producer Responsibility, Plastic Tax, Deposit Return Schemes, Plastics and alternatives.
- Food Industry Experience within food manufacturing or food retail
- Good Knowledge of legal framework with the food industry at UK and EU level
- Project management, delivering goals, engaging teams and colleagues.