Our client offers a complete service in health and beauty products - formulation, concept design & development/ NPD, manufacturing.
Together with the manufacturing of our well known & loved brands, we also work with brand owning partners to deliver sales, marketing and distribution for their brands. Finally, with our in-house end-to-end product development, manufacturing and laboratory capability, we work with numerous retailers and brand owners to manufacture their brands.
The Packaging Development team plays an integral role in ensuring functional and innovative packaging is effectively implemented within specified timelines, whilst meeting the market requirement for quality, value and sustainability.
As a Packaging Technologist, you will be responsible for ensuring functional packaging is developed and tested within specified timelines and conforms to the quality, commercial and sustainability criteria.
- Effectively collaborate with customers and propose solutions based on benchmark & cost parameters aligned with customer briefs.
- Review packaging concept whilst providing feasible solutions in terms of quality, sustainability, functionality and within allocated budget.
- Liaise with approved suppliers & design agencies on the packaging required including associated costs and timelines.
- Confirm estimate packaging costs based on concept / brief and rework packaging if required.
- Drive the implementation of our packaging sustainability targets and ensure adherence.
- Review and approval of final technical drawings; cutter guides and material specifications.
- Conduct / coordinate packaging tests to ensure functionality during Production, Supply Chain and Consumer use.
- Coordinate line trials and ensure packaging filling capability on current production lines.
- Review all packaging formats to ensure suitability and functionality and compile relevant test reports as per work instructions.
- Develop and maintain packaging component specifications to ensure development meets aesthetic and technical expectations.
- Ensure colour consistency and brand alignment and attend packaging print trials as required.
- Approve pre-production and production standards and ensure conformance to specification.
- Managing the development tasks for NPD and EPD projects ensuring on-time completion whilst adhering to company procedures.
- Provide technical support to all related departments on packaging related queries during and post development.
- Review packaging post-launch to identify areas that impact quality or delivery.
- Effectively investigate and manage packaging deviations, changes and corrective actions as required.
- Experience/skills required :
- Must be able to work across multiple projects whilst managing conflicting priorities.
- Ability for agile thinking to apply creativity in problem solving and decision making.
- Ability to challenge the status quo and adaptable in dealing with change initiatives and implementation thereof.
- Must be able to work within a team and without full supervision, be a “self-starter”
- Ability to track and clearly communicate status of their projects to the development team and keep them informed of any delays, risks, issues and recommending actions for resolution.
- Institute of Packaging (IoP) Diploma or equivalent
- A minimum of 2 years Packaging Development experience in FMCG, Beauty or Pharma
- Understanding of packaging, printing and manufacturing processes
- Good material and technical packaging knowledge
- Ability to understand and translate the design requirements into packaging
£competitive basic + benefits