Our client is a global leader, developing & manufacturing a wide range of natural healthcare brands and products distributed in over 60 countries, inspiring generations to live healthier and happier lives.
The role is to provide advice and solutions regarding all technical packaging requirements across the organisation. The Packaging Technologist will take ownership of all packaging related issues and will manage all packaging and logistics specifications. Working closely with suppliers, Technical, Production, Procurement, Quality and Marketing, the Packaging Technologist will provide innovative options on new and existing product and packaging upgrades. Strong communication and influencing skills will be critical to this role in order to build strong relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
To ensure that packaging components and specifications are consistent with our third party manufacturers, machinery and quality control requirements.
- To manage all specifications for packaging and logistics across the organisation, including third party manufactured products, within the QMS system.
- Approval of artwork, barcodes, bills of materials, and packaging SAP data
- Provide support to the New Product Development process when required, helping to define packaging specifications, costs and ensure process capability.
- To source new packaging and/or suppliers in line with design briefs or procurement projects.
- To attend first off production runs at our manufacturing sites and at suppliers as required.
- To provide technical support to Procurement on new and existing packaging sourcing requirements, identifying and actualising opportunities for cost and quality improvement.
- To lead change control and line trials for new Packaging initiatives from Procurement, NPD or the Technical team until completion.
- To establish a strong technical relationship with packaging suppliers and continuously work together on improvements.
- To contribute to profit improvement initiatives through packaging rationalisation and other cost saving initiatives.
- To identify opportunities to improve performance of packaging materials or design, with suppliers and at relevant exhibitions and seminars.
- To provide Packaging advice or support where required for capital expenditure projects on new production equipment.
- To work with Production, Quality, Engineering and external suppliers to effectively root cause issues relating to packaging.
- To provide support to Quality when required for material defect reports (MDR), helping to resolve issues where the supplier has identified an issue in the packaging design or their process capability.
- To support the Stability team by providing packaging, specifications, and advice when required for stability protocols.
- To comply with waste reporting regulations and completing annual statutory returns (Valpak)
- To provide technical guidance on all packaging related matters.
Candidates will ideally be educated to Degree level & have a Diploma in Packaging from the Institute of Packaging.
Skills & experience required :
- 4+ years relevant experience in Pharma/Healthcare, Cosmetics, FMCG packaging
- Experience of working with Technical, Quality, Production, Procurement, and Commercial departments to resolve and document packaging issues
- Strong understanding of pharma regulations and requirements
- Established working relationships with external suppliers and industry experts within the Packaging industry
- Current knowledge of packaging developments and industry trends
- Proven track record of managing projects from start to finish
- Understanding of technical administration, including packaging specifications
- Knowledge/experience of ERP systems such as SAP & of QMS management systems such as Q Pulse would be advantageous but not essential
- Behaviours :
- Strong attention to detail
- Motivated self-starter who uses initiative to tackle projects and solve problems
- Prepared to challenge status quo when necessary
- Ability to work well under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Ability to prioritise and be flexible when required
- Ability to identify areas of improvement and develop workable solutions
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively in a team and to build and maintain strong working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders
- Strong influencing skills
- Positive outlook with a ‘glass half full’ attitude
up to £45k plus benefits