Senior Packaging Technologist/Packaging Specialist
An exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic and driven person to join our Development Teambased in Leicester The successful candidate will assist with the development of new and existing packaging to support business growth and development. Reporting to the Head of Development.
Salary & benefits : £35k - £55k (DoE) + private healthcare, bonus, private pension. 5 weeks hols plus all BHs + flexitime & wfh one day a week
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
· Working with the NPD Manager and Development Team, provide packaging support in order to lead the market through the launch of new products, promoting innovation and speed to market.
· Support the NPD Manager and Development Team with current projects and trend work, to react to briefs from the customer, and also pro-actively be on the front foot in presenting new packaging ideas to the business.
· Creation of concept packaging in line with new product concepts created by the chefs
· Creation of packaging mock ups for visits or samples as required, assisting with organising and prep for visits where required.
· Management of packaging specs, requisition of new packaging specs and initiation of approval for packaging specs throughout the business.
· Final approval that all packaging items are fit for purpose from both a manufacturing & food safety point of view. That all items are set up correctly on all internal systems on time to meet critical path launch dates.
· Requisition of cutter guides for new packaging or changes to existing packaging
· Completion of range briefing forms to communicate cutter guides and packaging details to the customer.
· Communicate packaging changes to the wider business.
· Confirmation of FTP requirements and communication to the business, packaging suppliers, and printers.
· To be the main contact with packaging suppliers for NPD samples and innovation, requesting samples, specifications, pricing .
· Ensure the transfer of quality into the factory with the Process Team and on-going quality post launch.
· Help to prepare specifications for new packaging and processes alongside the Process Development department.
· Support with new launches for the Customer where applicable.
· To be the key contact with the customer’s packaging team i.e major retailers premium food ranges.
· To be a main contact with the printers and packaging suppliers.
· To be the go between for the Operations and Development teams, have a strong knowledge of factory capabilities and packaging used throughout the companies meals sites.
· Where required, liaise with the relevant customers, ensuring a good quality service is provided at all times.
· Liaise closely with Finance, Purchasing, Commercial, Production and Technical departments of the relevant meals sites affected by any packaging development to ensure consistency with the development of new products.
· Work closely with the Purchasing team to assist in the sourcing of packaging to ensure suppliers are continually being challenged to innovate.
THE SUCCESSFUL INDIVIDUAL
· Experience in a Packaging Development role
· Educated to degree level within a packaging or food related discipline
· Understand the specified technical attributes of food packaging - Packaging materials & formats you’d be working with include flexibles, rigids, films, cartons (SRP), thermoforming (cook in packs).
· Natural flair and passion for packaging development.
· Be able to complete paperwork to a high standard with strong attention to detail.
· Excellent organisational, interpersonal and communication skills.
· Good time management and self-motivation with the ability to work to deadlines and under pressure.
· Flexible, dynamic and ‘hands on’ someone who is a good team player who will assist the others on projects when workload becomes heavier in areas.
· PC literate with strong associated administrative skills.