A major British food manufacturer with brands that have been part of UK life for more than a century !
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Senior Packaging Development Technologist (new headcount due to growth of the business) to manage the packaging development process to support the New Product Development process, innovation delivery, operational excellence, quality maintenance/improvement programmes and value engineering
What you will be doing.
- Create & develop innovative packaging products and processes. Sell in ideas to marketing, and as part of a multi-disciplinary team, lead the packaging development of an idea from concept through to implementation.
- Investigate & communicate technology developments that could support both delivery of category innovation as well as operational improvements.
- Understand the impact of packaging on the environment. Implement and develop strategies to reduce its impact e.g. reduce, reuse, recycle, recover, fossil fuel and water consumption and GHG emissions.
- Manage the implementation of new packaging materials and processes within co-packers, which are specifically linked to NPD activities, although not exclusively.
- Build understanding of packaging materials interactions with a diverse of packaging machines and ensure that the packaging materials key performance criteria are part of the specifications. Harness this data to assess opportunities for further improvements of machine efficiencies.
- Develop & manage packaging trial and implementation strategies, specifically: trial protocols (including objectives, outputs, success criteria etc.); supplier support; operations briefings; specification changes; supplier changes e.g. Audits; print runs; process compliance e.g. Mnotes data collection; due diligence validation e.g. distribution and retailer handling trials.
- To develop close working relations with site-based QA and Technical support functions, and build levels of packaging technical knowledge within these teams, through hands-on training and use of external training through suppliers etc.
- Maintain and update the packaging specification system and confirm supplier approvals.
- Ensure that all UK and International legal requirements relating to packaging are strictly adhered to, and that awareness of amendments and new requirements are maintained and communicated within relevant functions e.g. Packaging R&D, Central QA etc.
- Manage sign-off of artwork for all related packaging activities.
What we need from you:
- 5 + years’ experience in Packaging Development with knowledge of a broad range of many materials e.g. Glass, Plastic, Films & Flexibles, Closure systems, Corrugated, Cartons, Metal cans
- Degree (or equivalent) in a technical discipline, science, engineering, product design, packaging
- Institute of Packaging Diploma would be an advantage
- Project Management skills
- Complete development from concept to launch
- Multi-disciplinary team working
- Working with bodies such as WRAP, BPF, MPMA, etc
- Operational experience an advantage
- People management (technician level) an advantage
What we offer you in return:
- Competitive salary
- Up to 7.5% pension
- Life assurance
- Wide range of online and in-house training
- Access to an employee discount scheme, with access to hundreds of nationwide retailers